Tuesday, August 26, 2008

DNC All-Delegate Celebration


Recognizing Katrina Relief Organizations

Sunday night's grand event at the Colorado Convention Center's Korbel Ballroom brought the attention of delegates and guests to the efforts to aid the region affected by the infamous act of god. The WKU students attending the convention received the generosity of the Kentucky delegation in the form of exclusive tickets to the event. Our student delegation met many in the Kentucky delegation in the lobby of their hotel. Active members of the state delegation, current and former office holders, and guests of the delegation mingled and traded introductions the evening before the convention proper. One such delegation member, Kerry Morgan, distributed the sought after tickets to the eager WKU students and faculty. Shortly thereafter, Lt. Governor Daniel Mongiardo entered the building to the great excitement of the fairer half of the WKU envoy.

That night, at the Korbel Ballroom, 50 states' delegations attended for the recognition of Katrina relief. A New Orleans blues band provided the entertainment in exciting fashion. Rep. Jim Clyburn of South Carolina spoke to the attendees and was followed shortly by musician Randy Newman. The expansive ballroom then erupted in applause to the entrance of Gov. Howard Dean who then addressed the crowd.

Personally, the experience of the party exceeded all of my expectations I had once a tickets graced my hand at that moment in the hotel lobby. The ballroom itself impressed me with its volume, and the attending delegates and guests representing all states and some territories greeted me very warmly. During Gov. Dean's speech, I was questioned by a man about my age as to the name of the speaker. I was shocked that someone in that room would not know the name and face of the chairman of the Democratic party. Further dialogue with the gentleman revealed that he was a journalist from China. I believe I informed him well as to the purpose of the event; I do hope that when I said Dean leads the party that he did not confuse the political party with the open-bar party we were attending in the Korbel Ballroom.

EDGE

No comments: