Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Future of the Arts & Arts Education in America


The thing I was most excited about yesterday was the Panel Discussion we went to promoting the arts in schools. I am a huge promoter of the arts, so this was a great event to attend. Not only was I excited about just the discussion but the fact that Mike Huckabee, Debbie Allen, and John Rich from Big and Rich were all featured speakers of the event. I was glad to hear Mike Huckabee has really pushed the arts in schools and I love Debbie Allen, she is a choreographer on one of my favorite shows "So you think you can dance". Also John Rich from Big and Rich a very successful songwriter had a great story about how the arts has helped him become who he is. I love this whole discussion because I know from my point of view the arts has helped me so much in life. Being in theatre has helped me become confident on camera and in front of people, painting has made me think creatively and from a whole new perspective, singing has allowed me to learn about different styles of music which reflect different cultures we have in this world, dance has allowed me to expressively move to reflect myself. The arts has made me who I am today, and all the speakers that spoke yesterday know that arts are so important, and they want to push to have the arts integrated into school's curriculum and I think it is so wonderful. I don't consider myself a history, math or science whiz but I love the arts and when I found that I was good at arts it makes you excited to be at school and go to dance class or choir. Debbie Allen discussed the fact that so many students are dropping out of school because they don't feel like they fit in anywhere because they don't feel like they are good at anything, but by offering arts to students and mandating students take art classes when they are younger and allow them to build on arts skills as they go through school will allow students to become proud of themselves and see that they are capable of great things. I think this is so important. It may have just been a small part of our group's day yesterday, but it made the biggest impact on me.

No comments: